Student Spotlight Prompts
Hello everyone! As you know, the ITMP is committed to spotlighting Indigenous students encouraging community engagement. Thus, we have created a set of prompts to aid students in exploring the central themes of Relationality and Connection! We want to spend this year actively thinking about the question: How do we connect to the world around us?
The directions are simple. We would like for you to approach and modify these prompts in a manner that best works for you. While they may be considered “writing” prompts, you could engage with them more imaginatively and create a drawing, painting, song, dance, or anything else that represents your thinking and feelings. We hope you have fun with these!
1. Describe your favourite place. Where is it? What do you do there? Why is it important to you? How did it become your favourite place?
2. Describe your favourite room.
3. Describe something beautiful you have seen in nature.
4. What would an ideal world look like for you?
5. What are the responsibilities we have to land?
6. What is the best gift you have ever given or received?
7. Describe someone in your life that you admire or look up to. This could be someone you know personally or celebrity/public figure.
8. What is an important lesson you have learned from an elder?
9. What is a subject that should be taught in school, but isn’t?
10. If you could change one thing about your school, what would it be?
11. Describe a time you helped someone. How did you feel?
12. What are the responsibilities of friendship?
13. What is one of the nicest things a friend or loved one has done for you?
14. Describe an inspiring friend, family member, or loved one.
15. Write about your ancestors.
16. What are some family or community traditions and practices that you want on carry on when you get older?
17. What is something new that you want to learn this year?
18. What is most important to you in life?
19. Describe your favourite character from a book, TV show, movie, or video game. What is their personality like? What do they look like? What makes them your favourite?
20. You are now a superhero. What powers do you possess? What does your costume look like? What is your goal: To save the world?
21. Describe your first pet. If you have never had a pet, describe your dream pet.
22. What is your favourite genre of music? How does it make you feel? Who are your favourite artists?
23. Describe your favourite food. What are the ingredients? How is it made? When do you have it? Why is it your favourite?
24. Describe your favourite book.
25. Describe your favourite video game, movie, or TV show.
26. What are you most proud of in your life?
27. Write about a time you did something really courageous.
28. Describe your best qualities. What do you like most about yourself?
29. What is the story behind your name?
30. Describe the first memory you have. Where were you, and what were you doing? How did you feel?
31. If you could learn about anything in your life, what would it be and why?
32. Describe a funny event or moment in your life.
33. Describe a happy memory.
34. Describe the best day ever.
35. Write a thank-you note to someone you are thankful for.
36. What makes you proud to be Indigenous?
‘Fill in the Blank’ Prompts:
1. The best part of today was…
2. If I could be anywhere in the world right now…
3. What really makes me happy…
4. What motivates me the most…
5. I feel energized after spending time with…
6. I feel like I can be myself around…
7. This year I learned…
8. If I could invent anything in the world…
9. The hardest part about growing up is…
10. I wish I knew more about…
11. I never realized I felt…
12. You won’t believe it, but…
13. I am most comfortable when…
14. I remember…
15. It makes me blush when…
16. The best book I ever read…
17. I wish there was a law that said…
18. If I was the Prime Minister I would…
19. The hardest decision I have ever had to make…
20. What would make the world a better place is…
1. Imagine your ideal world. What would it look like? What would be different? Create a story about what you would do for the entire week in that world.
2. List five careers you would like to have. Pick one and write about a day in your life as that person.
3. Write a story about friends who go on an adventure.
4. Turn a lesson you have learned into a story.
5. Pick two characters from different books, movies, or TV shows and write a story about them.
6. Write a story that only has animals as characters
7. Tell a story about a cloud
8. Write a story about a human that turns into a bird for a day
9. Write a story about a character who is lost but finds their way back home.
10. Create your own story prompt!